11 dead, 75 injured as Luxury hotel in Pakistan goes ablaze
At least 11 people were killed and 75 more injured when fire broke out
at Regent Plaza Hotel in Karachi, Pakistan on Monday around 2.45 a.m.
The fire started in the kitchen and rapidly swept through the four-star hotel trapping scores of guests in their rooms.
According to a Pakistan news site, Dawn, the fire brigade were later
able to contain the fire after about 3 hours with 11 people already
Speaking to CNN, Dr Seemi Jamali, who heads the Emergency Room at Jinnah
Hospital, close to the hotel, said the deaths had been caused by
suffocation and all injuries were linked to respiratory problems.
Mayor of Karachi, Waseem Akhtar while speaking to the press revealed
that the they were no fire exits and the fire alarms were also faulty
"There was no fire exit for people to escape from and no fire alarms
were working," he said.
However in a series of tweets posted on the Hotel's official twitter
page, the hotel's management is putting the blame on the fire brigade.
"Had the fire brigade started their operation on time, many precious
lives could have been saved today." One of the tweet read