Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Two Bodies Recovered From Abuja Flooding



A couple of bodies of victims of the storm in Abuja on Saturday have been recovered in Karshi, Federal Capital Territory, have been recovered, the Chief of Karshi, Ismaila Mohammed, has said.

Mohammed stated that they were thoroughly distraught and the community in mourning called on the FCT Administration to expand the bridge leading to the town to prevent a recurrence.

He said that the traditional council and relevant government agencies would intensify plans for communities living in flood-prone areas.


“In the meantime, only two bodies have been recovered from the scene of the incident, but we are still searching for more missing persons.

“While we pray that God prevents a repeat of the incident, we must also put precautionary measures in place, to prevent a recurrence.

”There is an arrangement now to close the road whenever it rains, to avert a repeat of the incident,” the chief said.

Mr. Lawrence Onuchukwu, the Vice Chairman of Abuja Municipal Area Council, expressed that the incident was unfortunate and assured that emergency response teams had been dispatched to assess the situation for immediate intervention.

He urged residents of the area to avoid flood-prone areas, adding that the emergency committee would work with the youths to sensitize various communities on the dangers of living in such areas.

The flood occurred following a downpour that swept away the three victims who were in two vehicles and attempting to cross through the bridge.

A resident, Mr. Jonathan Eda, said the flood also destroyed three cars and motorcycles and prevented movement over the bridge, which was submerged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.

Stay Connected:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mercyflawlessblog

Twitter: www.twitter.com/mercyflawless

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...