A man has had his exciting moment in the ocean cut short after being stung by stingray while swimming in a Chinese city, Sanya.
The unnamed man was seen rolling around on the beach in Sanya, in South China’s Hainan province, after his genitals were stung by the sea creature’s tail.
The poor bloke has just decided to take a dip in the sea to cool off on the sunny September day when suddenly he was running back on to the beach – stingray in tow.
The ray had managed to get its barbed tail stuck in the man‘s shorts and he was soon on his back in loads of pain.
The video, which has gone viral and racked up more than five million views, shows the bloke lying down with the ray beside him as the police, firefighters and other beachgoers rush to help him.
Unfortunately for the suffering man, a member of the Sanya fire service said he and his colleagues did not have the proper equipment to deal with the situation.
So, it ended up being very difficult to remove and unhook the spiny tail from the man’s peen.
“On the paramedic’s advice, we cut off the barbs with our tools.”
Even though the poor guy is said to have been able to walk immediately after the fire fighters attempted to remove the spines, he did follow paramedics to hospital for a check-up.
Stingrays can be poisonous, depending on the type, but one witness said it’s unclear whether the man was ever at risk of venom exposure.
It turns out there was more than one victim of the day – all of this happened while the ray is thought to have died on the beach.
Stingrays aren’t just the deadly creatures we imagine them today – sometimes they themselves are the victims.