The Federal Government has called out on the Non-Academic Staff Union of universities and the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities to halt the plans of embarking on a strike.
This is according to the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige in an interview with reporters after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the state house today.
He said going on with the strike which was scheduled to start tonight would be contrary to ILO Statue on social dialogue and principles at work because the federal government has already listened to their demands.
In his words, “In consonance with the labour laws, we have apprehended both strikes. They gave us trade dispute notice, we scheduled meetings with them after apprehension, we held meeting with NASU and SSANU last week Tuesday and government’s position was explained to them.
“They have a lot of issues mentioned as their grouse, issues like IPPIS. They said IPPIS has amputated some of their allowances, they also have the issue of consequential adjustment that was paid to all civil servants as a result of the new minimum wage of N30,000 for staff above Grade Level One, that is starting from Grade Level Two up to Level 17.”
“So, in the main, after conferring with Mr President, we are telling the unions not to carry out the action because that action will run counter to ILO Statute on social dialogue and principles at work because their employers have listened, they have brought them to the table.
“So, for SSANU and NASU, we are imploring them not to carry out their threat which they said will take effect from this midnight, he added.